Muscatineís Old Stone Church is a fully restored historic
church built by the Countyís early settlers. In 1867 a group of
pioneers of German heritage needed a place of worship for their
Methodist Episcopal congregation. Their faith was such that they
hand quarried the stone near Pine Creek and built the church
Today the Old Stone Church is fully restored and is available
for weddings, meetings and family events. The church is
non-denominational and is owned by the Friends of the Old Stone
Church a 501(c)(3) non-profit.
It is open for visitors and personal worship on Sunday mornings
from 10AM to 12 noon during the summer if not booked for a
For more information contact:
Mr. John Scott, President
A short walk
from the parking lot will take you to another bit of local
history. A few years ago a neighbor tore down an out building
and found a log cabin hidden under the siding. He protected it
and donated it to Friends of the Mill. The neighbor adjacent to
Wildcat Den donated land for the cabin. Tree ring analysis found
that the cabin was built in the middle 1850s. Volunteers have
completed moving and rebuilding the cabin.
The cabin contains many items that give visitors an idea of what
the inside of a cabin might have looked like in the 1850ís. It
is now a unique part of our interpretation program.
The 1878 bridge is one of the most visited spots in the park.
Itís the place to come if you enjoy a beautiful view, the sound
of rippling water, or just the quiet of nature. The mill and the
bridge are both on the National Register of Historic Places.
Itís more than a rusty old bridge on a quiet stream. Prior to
the construction of the bridge residents had to ford Pine Creek
near the mill or travel far to the north to cross the creek.
The lack of a bridge not only hindered travel for the residents
the township, it also badly hindered access to the mill.
The residents and mill owner Hermann Huchendorf petitioned the
Muscatine County Supervisors requesting that a bridge be built
over Pine Creek at the mill. A bridge could ordered right of
the supplierís catalog. The bridge would be delivered by rail
and simply bolted together at the site.